|5/25/17||Le Pavillon||Parc Lafayette, 1913 Kaliste Saloom Rd.||Lafayette, LA.|
Registration Fee: Free of Charge or $50.00 if you need the CEs/CLE’s (BOI will be providing a breakfast buffet and lunch)
This seminar is being provided by The Better Options Initiative. Professional Training Resources is just handling the Continuing Education portion of the program and the registration. To register for this event you can call (318) 443-0845 to pay by credit card or mail a check to PTR, 2690 Donahue Ferry Rd, Pineville, LA. 71360. Please make checks payable to Professional Training Resources, Inc. Please enclose your name, address and a contact number in the envelope with your check.
For more information about the Better Options Initiative, please go to http://betteroptionsinc.org/
Dr. Constance Ahrons is the author of The Good Divorce and The Binuclear Family. She is an internationally and nationally renowned speaker, with over 40 publications on divorce and remarriage. Professor emerita at the University of Southern California (USC) she has a private practice in San Diego, CA, where she works as a mediator, coach and therapist, specializing in helping families navigate the divorce process and have a respectful, no-court divorce. She has been featured on CNN with Anderson Cooper, the Today Show, CBS Early Morning Show and Oprah.
This workshop is designed to help you:
- Critique and challenge old thinking about the long-term effects of divorce on children and their parents
- Describe why some children are more resilient and how we can transfer this knowledge into a skill-based practice
- Discuss and explain major differences between good and bad divorces
- Demonstrate how to differentiate myths from realities about divorce
- List and explain the 5 ex-spouse typologies
- Describe the concept of the “binuclear family” and explain its implications for practice
7:45 am – 8:15 am – Registration
The Changing Landscape of Divorce
- Defining the good divorce and the Binuclear Family
- What’s god in divorce: Valuing Family
- Myths and realities
- Changing the way we look at family change
- Normal families, health language
10:00 to 10:15- Break
Complexities and Mediating Factors
- Evaluating the research and sorting out the findings
- Major factors that mediate divorce outcomes
- Pre-divorce factors
- Co-parenting relationship
- Five typologies of ex-spouse parenting relationships
11:30 am – 12:30 pm – Lunch
12:30 pm – 2:30 pm – Panel Discussion – Constance Ahrons, Ph.D., Eric Green, Ph.D., John Simoneaux, Ph.D., and Helen Popich-Harris, J.D.
2:30 pm – Adjournment
CE APPROVALS (5 CE’s):
- Psychologist–Professional Training Resources is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for Psychologists. “Professional Training Resources maintains responsibility for this program and it’s content.”
- Social Workers (NASW 5 general hours ) –This program has been approved for 6 continuing education contact hours by the National Association of Social Workers, Louisiana Chapter, and may be applied toward the continuing education requirements for licensure renewal.
- LPC’s (NBCC)– “Professional Training Resources is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider #5829 and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.”
- Substance Abuse Counselor (ADRA) — approved by the Addictive Disorder Regulatory Authority for 5 clock hours topic.
- School Psychologist (NASP) –Professional Training Resources is approved by the National Association of School Psychologists to offer continuing education for school psychologists. Professional Training Resources maintains responsibility for the program.
- Attorneys – This course or a portion thereof has been approved by the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Committee of the Louisiana Supreme Court for a maximum of 5 hours credit. The program has been approved for 5 hours of Family Law specialization.
- Other Professions –may seek approval for education credits through their respective boards. Everyone in attendance will receive a certificate of attendance.