- This event has passed.
DIAGNOSING ANXIETY DISORDERS RESPONSIBLY
John C. Simoneaux, Ph.D.
- Describe the current diagnostic criteria for the ten disorders listed in DSM-5 in the chapter relating to anxiety disorders.
- Discuss and explain potential generational differences in patients and clinicians in terms of how anxiety symptoms are expressed and treated.
- Analyze the degree to which clinicians may lean toward over-diagnosing anxiety disorders to facilitate payment for services.
- Explain how some anxiety disorders may actually be iatrogenic with the diagnosis leading to misdirected treatment and unanticipated consequences.
- Describe examples of long-term, unanticipated consequences of the diagnosis of Panic Disorder and Social Phobia specifically.
- Demonstrate appropriate treatment strategies for valid diagnoses of anxiety disorder, as well as alternative intervention strategies for acute anxiety states.
8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. — Registration
8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- Anxiety Disorders – Diagnostic Criteria
10:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. — Morning break
10:15 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Generational differences in how anxiety disorders are diagnosed, described, and treated
- The temptation to over-diagnosis and its relationship to reimbursements
11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. — Lunch break
12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Are some anxiety disorders actually caused by the clinician?
- Misdirected treatments – teaching versus therapy
- Examples of unanticipated consequences
2:00 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. — Afternoon break
2:15 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Treatment strategies for anxiety disorders
- Interventions strategies for acute anxiety states
4:00 p.m. — Adjournment
CE APPROVALS (6 CE’s):
Psychologist–Professional Training Resources, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for Psychologists. “Professional Training Resources, Inc., maintains responsibility for this program and it’s content.”
Social Workers (NASW 6 clinical hours) –This program has been approved for 6 continuing education contact hours by the National Association of Social Workers, Louisiana Chapter, and may be applied toward the continuing education requirements for licensure renewal.
LPC’s (NBCC)– “Professional Training Resources is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider #5829 and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.”
Rehabilitation Counselors (CRCC) — approved by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) for 6 clock hours.
Substance Abuse Counselor (ADRA) — approved by the Addictive Disorder Regulatory Authority for 6 clock hours topic.
School Psychologist (NASP) –Professional Training Resources is approved by the National Association of School Psychologists to offer continuing education for school psychologists. Professional Training Resources maintains responsibility for the program.
Other Professions –may seek approval for education credits through their respective boards. Everyone in attendance will receive a certificate of attendance.