- This event has passed.
Essential Diagnostic Strategies
April 8 @ 8:00 am - 12:45 pm$95.00
John C. Simoneaux, Ph.D.
- Describe the history of the development of diagnostic schemes, from the first attempts to current and proposed models
- Explain how to formulate a diagnosis through the use of hypothesis formulation and testing, flow charts, etc.
- List and describe recent relevant peer-reviewed research regarding diagnostic conundrums and difficulties
- Discuss proposed formulations outlined in the peer-reviewed journals for present and alternative diagnostic considerations.
8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. – Login
8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- From DSM to DSM-5 – the evolution of diagnosing mental disorders
- Formulating a diagnosis – rules and conventions
- Using DSM-5 tools and beyond
- Dangers relating to diagnosing
10:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. – Break
10:00 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
- Diagnostic difficulties – easy or rocket science?
- The importance of taking a thorough history
- What does the literature say about diagnosing?
- Is DSM-5 our only option – some alternatives
12:45 p.m. Adjournment
CE APPROVALS (4 CE’s):
P.T.R. has been made aware that various licensing authorities have made changes to continuing education requirements secondary to the COVID crisis. While we have made efforts to accommodate those changes, please recognize that individual circumstances suggest that each professional should confirm that specific regulations are satisfied.
Psychologist–Professional Training Resources, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for Psychologists. “Professional Training Resources, Inc., maintains responsibility for this program and its content.”
Social Workers (NASW 4 clinical hours) –This program has been approved for 4 continuing education contact hours by the National Association of Social Workers, Louisiana Chapter, and may be applied toward the continuing education requirements for licensure renewal.
LPC’s (NBCC)– “Professional Training Resources is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider #5829 and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.”
Substance Abuse Counselor (ADRA) — approved by the Addictive Disorder Regulatory Authority for 4 clock hours topic.
School Psychologist (NASP) –Professional Training Resources is approved by the National Association of School Psychologists to offer continuing education for school psychologists. Professional Training Resources maintains responsibility for the program.
Other Professions –may seek approval for education credits through their respective boards. Everyone in attendance will receive a certificate of attendance.