Ethics: I Was Unethical? Not Me!!
May 7 @ 8:00 am - 11:45 am$60.00
John C. Simoneaux, Ph.D.
- Apply ethical guidelines and practices to identify areas in mental health services where ethical boundaries are pushed and/or violated.
- Discuss unwitting mistakes that are made by mental health professionals that could lead to potential ethical violations
- Recognize how routine instructions about confidentiality, records releases, and informed consent may be in error.
8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. – Login
8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- Review statements made to patients about confidentiality, informed consent, records releases, etc.
- Overview of boundary violations focusing on how those concerns can lead to unethical practice
- Examples of common practices of therapists that are ethically dubious
10:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. – Break
10:00 a.m. – 11:45 p.m.
- Ethical mistakes relating to sharing of private information
- Developing policies that reduce liability and ensure ethical practice
- Examples of truthful communications to patients about ethical concerns
- Discussion of what to do if a violation has occurred.
11:45 p.m. Adjournment
CE APPROVALS (3 CE’s):
Psychologist–Professional Training Resources, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for Psychologists. “Professional Training Resources, Inc., maintains responsibility for this program and its content.”
Social Workers (NASW 3 ethics hours) –This program has been approved for 4 continuing education contact hours by the National Association of Social Workers, Louisiana Chapter, and may be applied toward the continuing education requirements for licensure renewal.
LPC’s (NBCC)– “Professional Training Resources is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider #5829 and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.”
Substance Abuse Counselor (ADRA) — approved by the Addictive Disorder Regulatory Authority for 3 clock hours topic.
School Psychologist (NASP) –Professional Training Resources is approved by the National Association of School Psychologists to offer continuing education for school psychologists. Professional Training Resources maintains responsibility for the program.
Rehabilitation Counselors – All programs noted above have been pre-approved by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC).
Other Professions –may seek approval for education credits through their respective boards. Everyone in attendance will receive a certificate of attendance.