ETHICS: PEC’S, DUTY TO WARN, ETC.: Liabilities and Pitfalls
May 8, 2020 @ 8:30 am - 11:45 am$85.00
John C. Simoneaux, Ph.D.
- Describe Louisiana laws as they relate to the use of Emergency Certificates and Orders of Protective Custody
- Discuss mental health professional’s responsibilities relating to duty to warn and/or duty to protect.
- Predict potential professional liabilities that might arise from the use of involuntary commitments and related allowable breaches to confidentiality.
- Design policies and procedures to utilize when breaches to confidentiality become necessary to ensure the safety of clients and others.
8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. — Registration
8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- Overview of Louisiana statutes
- PEC’s, CEC’s, OPC’s
- Allowable breaches to confidentiality – what this means
10:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. — Morning break
10:15 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
- Duty to warn, duty to protect, Tarasoff
- Requirements and potential risks associated with PEC’s and Tarasoff warnings
- How to ethically carry out Louisiana laws relative to emergency situations
11:45 a.m. — Adjournment
CE APPROVALS (3 CE’s):
Psychologist–Professional Training Resources, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for Psychologists. “Professional Training Resources, Inc., maintains responsibility for this program and it’s content.”
Social Workers (NASW 3 ethics hours) –This program has been approved for 3 continuing education contact hours by the National Association of Social Workers, Louisiana Chapter, and may be applied toward the continuing education requirements for licensure renewal.
LPC’s (NBCC)– “Professional Training Resources is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider #5829 and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.”
Rehabilitation Counselors (CRCC) — approved by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) for 3 clock hours.
Substance Abuse Counselor (ADRA) — approved by the Addictive Disorder Regulatory Authority for 3 clock hours topic.
School Psychologist (NASP) –Professional Training Resources is approved by the National Association of School Psychologists to offer continuing education for school psychologists. Professional Training Resources maintains responsibility for the program.
Other Professions –may seek approval for education credits through their respective boards. Everyone in attendance will receive a certificate of attendance.