Mayberry’s Guide to Parenting
March 26 @ 8:00 am - 12:45 pm$80.00
John C. Simoneaux, Ph.D.
- Apply fundamental parenting principles through the use of examples and illustrations from The Andy Griffith Show.
- Design and select episodes and scenes from The Andy Griffith Show to use with parents as examples of proper parenting techniques.
- Demonstrate how parents can effectively deal with conflict, admit mistakes, and model respect and civility to their children.
- Explain how a regular and thoughtful use of materials from The Andy Griffith Show may be helpful in teaching effective parenting skill
8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. – Login
8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- Introduction of characters and their roles in helping to raise Opie
- Overview of fundamental parenting principles and rules that are to be illustrated through examples from The Andy Griffith Show
- Discussion of specific episodes of The Andy Griffith Show that underscore positive parenting principles
10:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. – Break
10:00 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
- Andy Griffith (and others) teaches how to deal with conflict
- Admitting mistakes, trusting children while maintaining control and authority
- Andy Griffith models respect, civility, and kindness
- Examples of Andy Griffith’s failings – what we can learn from parenting mistakes
12:45 p.m. Adjournment
CE APPROVALS (4 CE’s):
Psychologist–Professional Training Resources, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for Psychologists. “Professional Training Resources, Inc., maintains responsibility for this program and its content.”
Social Workers (NASW 4 general hours) –This program has been approved for 4 continuing education contact hours by the National Association of Social Workers, Louisiana Chapter, and may be applied toward the continuing education requirements for licensure renewal.
LPC’s (NBCC)– “Professional Training Resources is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider #5829 and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.”
Substance Abuse Counselor (ADRA) — approved by the Addictive Disorder Regulatory Authority for 4 clock hours topic.
School Psychologist (NASP) –Professional Training Resources is approved by the National Association of School Psychologists to offer continuing education for school psychologists. Professional Training Resources maintains responsibility for the program.
Rehabilitation Counselors – All programs noted above have been pre-approved by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC).
Other Professions –may seek approval for education credits through their respective boards. Everyone in attendance will receive a certificate of attendance.