- This event has passed.
MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONALS IN COURT: How to Be an Effective Expert
October 28 @ 8:00 am - 12:45 pm$95.00
John C. Simoneaux, Ph.D.
- Describe how the legal process impacts mental health professionals
- Discuss “who is an expert” and “how do you become an expert”.
- Utilize tips and strategies for preparing for court and communicating with attorneys
- Discuss how to effectively respond to direct and cross-examination.
- Plan a court appearance, with an emphasis on practical advice to make the experience less traumatic.
8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. – Login
8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- The law and how it relates to mental health
- Roles of the mental health professional in the courtroom
- Controversies surrounding expert testimony
- Communicating with the courts
- Responding to subpoenas
- Preparing for court – Dealing with attorneys
10:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. – Break
10:00 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
- The days before testimony
- Common pitfalls and problems
- Testifying without fear
- Practices to avoid
- Common legal strategies used with experts
- How to ensure payment
12:45 p.m. Adjournment
CE APPROVALS (4 CE’s):
P.T.R. has been made aware that various licensing authorities have made changes to continuing education requirements secondary to the COVID crisis. While we have made efforts to accommodate those changes, please recognize that individual circumstances suggest that each professional should confirm that specific regulations are satisfied.
Psychologist–Professional Training Resources, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for Psychologists. Professional Training Resources, Inc., maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Social Workers (NASW 4 general hours) –This program has been approved for 4 continuing education contact hours by the National Association of Social Workers, Louisiana Chapter, and may be applied toward the continuing education requirements for licensure renewal.
Licensed Professional Counselors – Professional Training Resources, Inc. has been approved by NBCC as an approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 5829. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Professional Training Resources, Inc. is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Substance Abuse Counselor (ADRA) — approved by the Addictive Disorder Regulatory Authority for 4 clock hours topic.
School Psychologist (NASP) –Professional Training Resources is approved by the National Association of School Psychologists to offer continuing education for school psychologists. Professional Training Resources maintains responsibility for the program.
Other Professions –may seek approval for education credits through their respective boards. Everyone in attendance will receive a certificate of attendance.