Suicide: Risk Factors and Warning Signs
February 11, 2022 @ 8:00 am - 12:45 pm$95.00
John C. Simoneaux, Ph.D.
- Describe the scope of the suicide problem in mental health, with emphasis on incidence, prevalence, high risk groups, and shifts since Covid-19.
- Discuss the timing and circumstances of suicidal behavior, including attempts at disclosure, degree of lethality, typical methods, and legal responsibilities
- Apply effective suicide assessment strategies and distinguish effective from ineffective techniques
8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. – Login
8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- Suicide defined and legal ramifications
- Suicide since the pandemic
- Depression, sleep, and other concomitants of suicide
- Demographics and details – what we know about suicide
10:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. – Break
10:00 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
- Suicide assessment strategies
- Interview techniques and suggestions
- The formal assessment of suicide – risk assessment
- What to do when a patient is suicidal
12:45 p.m. Adjournment
CE APPROVALS (4 CE’s):
Psychologist–Professional Training Resources, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for Psychologists. “Professional Training Resources, Inc., maintains responsibility for this program and its content.”
Social Workers (NASW 4 clinical hours) –This program has been approved for 4 continuing education contact hours by the National Association of Social Workers, Louisiana Chapter, and may be applied toward the continuing education requirements for licensure renewal.
LPC’s (NBCC)– “Professional Training Resources is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider #5829 and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.”
Substance Abuse Counselor (ADRA) — approved by the Addictive Disorder Regulatory Authority for 4 clock hours topic.
School Psychologist (NASP) –Professional Training Resources is approved by the National Association of School Psychologists to offer continuing education for school psychologists. Professional Training Resources maintains responsibility for the program.
Other Professions –may seek approval for education credits through their respective boards. Everyone in attendance will receive a certificate of attendance.