- This event has passed.
Therapist’s Guide to Child Custody and Visitation
December 3, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 12:45 pm$80.00
John C. Simoneaux, Ph.D.
- Predict when and how therapy for minors and adults evolve into child custody disputes
- Discuss strategies that therapists can utilize both before and during the therapy process to minimize legal entanglements and conflicts
- Describe state laws that are relevant to therapists who innocently become embroiled in disputes over custody and visitation
- List and critique common mistakes made by therapists relating to child custody and visitation
- Explain what actions therapists should take to avoid legal involvement and reduce professional liability
8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. – Login
8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- Signs that suggest a custody fight is brewing
- Seeing the emergence of a custody dispute
- Custody disputes relating to marriage and family therapy and individual therapy
- Prophylactic measures at intake that reduce a therapist’s risk and liability
- How to talk to patients about confidentiality/privilege and other dangers
- When to get out
10:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. – Break
10:00 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
- State laws regarding custody and visitation that therapist’s must understand
- Can therapists be brought in to testify against their will – what can you do
- Making sure you get paid and how to avoid mistakes
- Communicating with attorneys and the courts
12:45 p.m. Adjournment
CE APPROVALS (4 CE’s):
Psychologist–Professional Training Resources, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for Psychologists. “Professional Training Resources, Inc., maintains responsibility for this program and its content.”
Social Workers (NASW 4 general hours) –This program has been approved for 4 continuing education contact hours by the National Association of Social Workers, Louisiana Chapter, and may be applied toward the continuing education requirements for licensure renewal.
LPC’s (NBCC)– “Professional Training Resources is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider #5829 and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.”
Substance Abuse Counselor (ADRA) — approved by the Addictive Disorder Regulatory Authority for 4 clock hours topic.
School Psychologist (NASP) –Professional Training Resources is approved by the National Association of School Psychologists to offer continuing education for school psychologists. Professional Training Resources maintains responsibility for the program.
Rehabilitation Counselors – All programs noted above have been pre-approved by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC).
Other Professions –may seek approval for education credits through their respective boards. Everyone in attendance will receive a certificate of attendance.