Truth, Lies and Deception
September 24 @ 8:30 am - 12:45 pm$95.00
John C. Simoneaux, Ph.D.
- Describe an overview of the literature on lying and deception
- Discuss the relationship between lying and deception in social interactions and malingering
- Explain the impact of deception on diagnosis and establishing a therapeutic relationship
- Design objective ways to assess malingering in clinical practice
8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. – Login
8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- What the scientific literature tells us about lying
- Who lies, how often, when, how? Etc.
- Who among us is good at detecting lies – how do they do it
- Diagnostic groups that lie routinely
10:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. – Break
10:00 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
- Malingering – A special kind of deception
- Lying in therapy – does everyone do it?
- Setting up a “lie-free” therapeutic environment
- Tools to assess deception and malingering
12:45 p.m. Adjournment
CE APPROVALS (4 CE’s):
Psychologist–Professional Training Resources, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for Psychologists. “Professional Training Resources, Inc., maintains responsibility for this program and its content.”
Social Workers (NASW 4 clinical hours) –This program has been approved for 4 continuing education contact hours by the National Association of Social Workers, Louisiana Chapter, and may be applied toward the continuing education requirements for licensure renewal.
LPC’s (NBCC)– “Professional Training Resources is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider #5829 and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.”
Substance Abuse Counselor (ADRA) — approved by the Addictive Disorder Regulatory Authority for 4 clock hours topic.
School Psychologist (NASP) –Professional Training Resources is approved by the National Association of School Psychologists to offer continuing education for school psychologists. Professional Training Resources maintains responsibility for the program.
Other Professions –may seek approval for education credits through their respective boards. Everyone in attendance will receive a certificate of attendance.